People who feel “upset and distress” about something like this really need to take personal control of their emotional state!
- University atheist society ordered out of freshers’ fair for displaying ‘blasphemous’ pineapple called Mohammed
- Reading University Atheist, Humanist and Secularist Society
There are about 7 billion people in the world. 1000s of gods are worshipped. 1000s of religions are practised. 1000s of contradictory ideologies are espoused. In a world of global communications, it is probably impossible to say or show anything significant that someone somewhere won’t get upset about. It is obviously impossible to prevent those words and images being published.
The onus is on people who disagree with them to take appropriate action if they are not to be upset or distressed. Except for personal attacks (which are not what I’m talking about here), people typically get upset for one of 2 reasons: because they have chosen to be upset; or because they have been brought up (perhaps indoctrinated) to be upset. For their sake, and for the sake of their children, they should choose not to be upset, and should not indoctrinate their children to be upset.
What is blasphemy?
- Wikipedia: Blasphemy – “the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for a religious deity or the irreverence towards religious or holy persons or things”
- Wikipedia: Islam and blasphemy (pretty arbitrary and inconsistent across the world)
- Wikipedia: Blasphemy law in the United Kingdom (blasphemy laws, which were about Christianity, now removed)